Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Living in a mans world


Pretty much my entire life I have felt like I was a woman living in a mans world. I've always had to know more or bust ass just a little harder to gain the respect of those around me. Let me explain. Growing up I've been the classic case of a tomboy. I hung out in my Dads repair shop with the boys, so I learned motors, grease, and go fast parts at an early age. This had continued into my adulthood. I now own 2 classic cars, 2 snowmobiles and work in a welding shop with 250+ guys. I am the only female. In fact, I am the only female to ever work in the production area of this shop. (I do hope that changes in the future) If there's one thing I've noticed as a female in a "Mans World" they aren't easy on you. They don't give you respect until you've earned it. and some times to earn it you have to work 2-3 times harder then you would if you had different parts between your legs. I've always been okay with that until as of recently, when one man refused to work with me because I am a girl. He didn't even give me a chance to stick up for myself, to prove to him that I could hang with the guys.. Just cut and dry, I don't want to work with her. I've also noticed this trend in more place then just at work... One of the most famous lines I hear when driving my prized white Mercury is "Is that your Daddy's car?" why no sir, it is not. Is it so unbelievable that a woman could own something that takes more automotive no how then to put gas in? Probably not.

It is the year 2011, women hold offices of power, they run companies, they do everything that men can do and probably then some. So why is it that so many women still encounter this? because I ensure you that I can't be the only one!! Any way, my point to this little rant I seem to have gone on is this, to any girl out there that is told you can't, YOU CAN. If some one tells you it's a mans job, prove them wrong. Don't let anyone get you down because you are a girl with a unique interest. You can do anything you set your mind to. And to the guys who tell these girls that they can't do it, I hope some little girl comes along and does it better then you! :)

"A woman can do anything a man can do. But she can do it backwards and in heels!"

1 comment: